Are you considering straightening misaligned or crooked teeth? As we age, our teeth, crooked from childhood, may affect our confidence, oral health, and general wellbeing. While the options for teeth alignment are varied, the clear aligner revolutionised the dental industry in the late 1990s. This heralded a non-invasive dental treatment, in comparison to the more traditional metal or ceramic brace. We highly recommend a consultation to discuss the most suitable option for your circumstances; Invisalign or traditional braces?
What is Invisalign? A transparent series of aligner trays that offer a gentle manipulation of the teeth into their desired position – Invisalign is fast becoming the treatment of choice for many adults and teens. An X-ray is performed to create an accurate 3D image in which to develop and configure the trays.
Metal Braces 101
A traditional method that features either metal or ceramic brackets, these brackets can be glued to the teeth and tied together via wires. The wires are then fixed onto each individual bracket with a minute rubber band. You can choose brackets that complement the colouring of your enamel, ensuring a more discreet appearance.
The Pros of Wearing Invisalign
- Near transparent
- No wires equal enhanced comfort and flexibility
- Food less likely to get trapped
- No aching of the jaw when eating
- Is non-invasive and removable
What to do When Wearing Invisalign
- Ensure to brush after ever meal to prevent staining of the aligner
- We recommend the removal of your aligner before eating and drinking anything but water
The Pros of Wearing Braces
- You need only floss and brush
- As they are fixed, there is no need to remove and replace when eating or drinking
- Greater effectiveness for more complex issues
What to do When Wearing Braces
- Brush regularly as you may experience tooth discolouration
- Certain types of food may present as a challenge to eat
- You may experience pain and discomfort as your teeth move
When to Visit Your Dentist
In establishing the most suitable alignment solution, we recommend a consultation to discuss your situation and expectations with your dentist. At all times, whether it be Invisalign or the more traditional brace, ensure to maintain a high level of oral hygiene to keep further issues at bay.
Call for your Consultation Now
Undecided? Consult with our team on the best teeth alignment treatment for you or your children. Book your appointment on (03) 9763 7333 today.